• May 21Student and staff holiday on Monday, 5/28

• April 18Yearbooks are on sale in room 113 for $38. Get yours today!

A Good Teacher

This is a caption.

Photographer

This is a caption.

Bella Stansbury, Staff Reporter

As the end of the school year nears, now is a good time to look back and reflect on the year we’ve had: new friends, sports, academics, electives and our teachers. We’ve all had our fair share of good, bad, funny and mean teachers, but which qualities equip a teacher to effectively teach students?

“My first grade teacher was my favorite teacher because she was always really nice and unlike all of the teachers she gave me free stuff,” 7th grader Ben Brier recalls. According to 8th grader Mckenzie Carlin “well my favorite teacher always cared about how we were feeling and what emotions were towards an assignment and she put our learning as her priority and she just genuinely cared about her students.”

As you can see, a 7th grade boy and an 8th grade girl both have very different opinions on what a good teacher looks like. Do teachers have a better idea of what makes a teacher outstanding? “My favorite part of teaching is when the light bulb comes on in the student and those connections being made and going out and watching them do what makes them good.” Mrs. Harman 7th grade history teacher states. Mrs. Harman says that “watching her students fail” is the hardest part of teaching.

So all in all, a good teacher is well rounded in all areas of teaching. They’re not perfect but they care about their students and really getting to know them as “individuals rather than just students.” Personally, I believe that being able to build relationships with your students is one of the most important factors in being/becoming a teacher.

According to Ben Brier the gender of a teacher doesn’t matter “because some female teachers are nice and some male teachers are nice.” According to Mckenzie, the experience matters when “a teacher is new and they’re obviously going to have troubles and they’re probably not going to be that great because they’re still learning from the experience, but my  teacher this year is older so I don’t think age has anything to do with a teacher either.”

Teachers come in all genders, ages, and experience levels, but when it comes down to it, a good teacher is someone who genuinely cares about how their students are doing in their class and know them as people and not just students. So when it comes down to it, most teachers, are good teachers.